Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sometimes I wish to live back in the 1970's or 80's

Sometimes I wish to live back in the 1970's or 80's
Don't understand me wrong, I'm not unhappy with my life but when it comes to certain points I would prefer these times. The time without mobile phones where we didn't had to be available 24/7, the time without emails where it wasn't expected to answer each "letter" within an hour. If you just think about the work-life balance everyone is talking about nowadays, I'm pretty sure people were much more relaxed.
Do we have constant life's?
What I see is that almost no one wants serious relationships as it was back then. We switch not only jobs, flats or cities within a short period of time, we also switch private connections instead of putting efforts in. The time where family and friends were counting more than social networking seems to be history. I have the impression that many just try to connect with other persons for their own needs.
Are we becoming more and more selfish nowadays?
I knew persons who started to bother when not receiving a reply on a short message within five minutes. Bother means after the text they started to call, to talk a message on your mobile box, sending a message on Facebook, checking if you are somewhere to be seen as 'online' for a chat message. And for what? Nothing special, just being bored or telling the newest gossips they heard somewhere.
Aren't we allowed anymore to disconnect for a while?
Also the newsfeed is overwhelming, people back in these years weren't aware of every single small catastrophe happening on the other side of the world. If I say small it doesn't mean it's awful for the persons being involved but honestly, even if I know something happened somewhere, I cannot change the whole world to be safe and good. Instead of bothering myself too much with bad news of a country I haven't a single relationship to I should start to change the part where I'm able to make efforts. I just told my husband a few days ago that I would become depressive if I would watch the news channel for too long.
On the other hand not everything is bad but we have to be careful on how to use all these connections we have, they shouldn't start to use us. Without the web I would never have met my husband and without world wide news I wouldn't be aware of what's going on in his country.
The biggest task for us now is to use it carefully, filter for the parts which are important to us and not to forget that there is a real life outside. Real people who may want to have us around, need us or just want to step by for a coffee to tell about their own personal important news.
And never forget that we are allowed to disconnect, mute mobile phones, shut down computers and turn of TVs whenever we think we need a time out for ourselves!
Stay yourself!
Faithfully...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to receive comments!